Brother gave his share to rest of us. How to register it in our name?

We have a joint freehold residential property in the name of 5 brothers wherein 1 of us has Willed (unregistered plain paper will) his share to the rest 4. Now after this demise, we want to convert the title from 5 names in the name of the remaining 4 brothers.

What is the procedure for the same and what all documents do we need for the same. It is a residential freehold property.

Answers (1)

212 votes

The law does not demand that the Will has to be registered. But the will has to be properly signed in the presence of two attesting witnesses.

The process to get the property ownership transferred on the basis of a Will varies from state to state. In some states, it is mandatory to probate the will and in some States, it is not mandatory. If the property is situated in a State where it is mandatory to probate the will, a civil suit has to be filed in the probate court.

If the property is situated in a State where it is not mandatory to probate the will, an application has to be filed before the revenue officer in the prescribed form to register the property in the name of four surviving members and also for the issuance of the mutation certificate.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Documentation Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
18 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
15 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles