Working wife earning more than 60000/pa whether entitled to alimony

23-Mar-2023 (In Divorce Law)
We married under SPAct in 1987 & both are Hindu & no rites were observed under Hindu laws.My wife is working in nationalised bank & earning more than 60000/pm. Since marriage she started cruelty towards me & my family . She declines mutual divorce but demands half of my self acquired property or value to leave the house along with two sons who are major and elder is employed but younger is not.Whether I am, a retired person, legally bound to give her alimony if so to what extent. Kindly advise me what steps to be adopted as it is unbearable to live under same roof.Moreover she provoked the sons to be violent & abusive to me.
Answers (1)

Answer #1
900 votes
Since you are a retired person, and provided you get pension, the said pension cannot be attached towards alimony payment. Court may be favourably inclined towards you but you still will have to prove your incapacity to maintain, as well her income standards, before the court should you file a divorce case before the Family Court

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."