Wife staying with husband whether he is liable to pay maintenance

In Divorce Law
Dear Sir, My wife filed a case against me u/s 125 of maint queries are as below - she is residing with me in one home is it legal to file a case - still i am taking care of expenses - Is any lawyer is must on first hearing - what would be the maint amount ratio which i have to pay her as i am getting 50,000/- pm - what i have to do Regards

Answers (5)

207 votes

Your wife can stay with you and still file an application for maintenance under section 125 Crpc. Though lawyer is not must however it is advisable to appear along with & under guidance for lawyer expert in field of Matrimonial law. Maintenance amount is decided on the basis of your and your wife's income, and the kind of evidence adduced. For specific advice you may contact me with full details of your matter.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

293 votes

Dear Client,

it is always better to take services of expert in any matter and in legal matter it is the best option. i advise you to hire a good lawyer and provide him complete facts so that he can defend you.

for further information/clarification you can call/meet me.


Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience
186 votes

Yes the maintenance case is legal, hence, maintainable under the law. If you are running the house she is only entitled for pocket money for her personal maintenance. Fixation of amount would be not so high, since it's pocket money only especially when she would not be accountable for the petty or small amount of money. Well, therefor, quantum of maintenance depends upon your logic and discretion of the court to my opinion should not be more then 5,000 to 6,000. You haven't told about ur parents or childeren I.e. People dependant upon you.

154 votes

you have to file an affidavit so its better to engage a lawyer and if you are taking care of your wife then collect your proof of maintaining her..

Thanks & regards

334 votes

Sir your wife can ask for maintainance if she is not working or earning.. The amount of maintaince is decided by court.. However there are several ways in which we can minimize the monthly maintainance

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles