×

queswife has filed dowry case in india and i am in usa

sir i m reside in usa after marriage i went their on tourist visa after spending 7-8 years i hv 2 kids but after some years on small issues my wife started fighting with me and then she came back to india and now she has filed dowery case and harrasment case against me nd my parents . so pls suggest what to do i m still in usa . i tried to contact her but she didnt. what r legal consequences and what can i do now from there. pls help me . how she can harm me and my parents they have nothing to do with her as she lived with them only 5,6 days after marriage pls suggest me solution frm usa

• ansMy suggestion is that you should follow the court instructions and contest the divorce petition, in case you are also interested in divorce can apply for mutual divorce petition but in that case she will demand huge amount of alimony as you are in USA and are on a good job.
      In case you are not able to come over to contest then you can instruct your lawyer to appear and appraise the court about your condition.
      As per Hon'ble Supreme Courts' judgment passed in last July, your aged parents and married sister living separately can not be taken into custody without proper investigation.
      But as you are aware that law favours woman in India but still the judgments are coming in favour of husbands as well due to changing situations.
      My advice is that you should consult your advocate and give all the details to have a proper opinion.

Advocate Upma Shrivastava

Supreme Court of India, Delhi

• ansHi,
      After going through the background of your case, it is quite evident that your wife wants to harass you someway or the other and it is quite possible she can initiate other legal proceedings against you. You can hire a legal representative who can represent you here and seek exenption from your personal appearance.

Advocate Richa Relhan

Commonwealth Games Village, Delhi