×

quesWhat is a process to file a domestic violence complaint?

What is the process to file a complaint in domestic violence and can the wife live in shared accommodation? Also, what is the time frame in which one can expect a resolution.

• ansA complaint is filed before the concerned Metropolitan Magistrate. He affords a hearing in no later than 3 days.

Wife has full right to live shared family accommodation.

Lastly, no fixed time frame is present but such complaints are disposed off very quickly.

Advocate Nishant Rai

Greater Kailash-1, Delhi

• ansFirstly, you have to collect your chain of events I.e.harassment like sexually, financially, emotionally, physically and mentally.Then it will be converted into a legal format.
      Yes,a wife can live in shared accomodation.
      It will take approx 2 years In which one can except a resolution.

Advocate Arti Sharma

Tis Hazari Court, Delhi

• ansU need to first give a complaint to the concerned police station regarding the incidence of domestic violence n then there is a prescribed format in domestic violence act to file complaint before a magistrate on the basis of police complaint . u need a advocate to file complaint as there are lot of technicalities in filing a case u/s 12 of domestic violence act

Advocate Anshul Gupta

Ajmeri Gate, Delhi