Want to file for divorce case in India after getting US citizenship

I was an Indian citizen when I got married in Kerala under the Hindu Marriage Act. Now I am a US citizen and have been residing in Mumbai for the last 6 months. I want to file a divorce from Mumbai, is that possible?

Answers (2)

Certainly you can file for divorce from Mumbai as well along with your domicile certificate of the relevant state and could mention that you are residing at Mumbai due to your job or anything genuine reason or your parents responsibilities upon you.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

If you were married in India (in your case Kerela) then you can file for divorce in India. Also is your spouse living in India?

You should approach a local lawyer and file for a divorce petition.

Plus you will need to show all your details relating to the day you accepted US citizenship, the day you got married, your permanent residence etc.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

i suffered by my wife filled divorce petetion in 2015,she is not ready to give divorce but dragging the case,i met with a unmarried girl she is ready …

Read More

I have re-married after obtaining ex-parte decree of divorce. The said decree has been set aside in due course. Now, regular divorce proceedings are u…

Read More

Can I Marry my grandmother sister grandson in Hindu marriage it allows.. legally can I marry him..plz advice me…

Read More

My marriage was not registered ,My first question do I have to file divorce I filed my divorce on August 2016. Till now I came across 6 vaidhas.Still …

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue