Seeking divorce want to knw my rights aft divorce

Suffering through adultery from husband past 12years in 14yrs of marriage he now wants to marry his ex girlfren who is also married. Is harassing me for my maintainance n much more . I want to knw being a muslim woman wat r my rights thru law as i want a divorce now and cant live wit such a dirty man of heart mind n soul Marriage not registered but nikhanama is ther wit full proof n affidavit also Wat rights can i claim for my kids 13 n 11yrs n esp myself . Does the constitution n law give me equal rights like any other Indian citizen or not

Answers (2)

244 votes

You have equally rights like other citizens but you cannot seek divorce if you are married as per muslim law ,u need grounds and the ground mention by you is out if Muslim law and hence ,but you can live separately and claim maintain ence for ur self and your kids if born out of the said marriage ,Muslim woman can after divorce or khula ,can wait for iddat period and there after remmary ,during period of iddat if the wife detect pregnancy to then the father of the child so concived will be the husband who has divorced prior to iddat.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

200 votes


Yes the constitution and law give you equal rights.

You can file divorce under Muslim Law on the grounds of adultery and cruelty metted on you during your marital life.

You can also claim maintenance for yourself and your minor children and also demand for custody of the children and also for desperate accommodation for yourself and your minor children

The nikahnama will suffice as your marriage proof.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles