Continue to LawRato.com with Google


Query regarding maintenance amount

In a mutual consented divorce,when does a spouse start paying maintainence amount ? Is it after the second motion and final judgement? My spouse has been insisting that the payment has to be done just after first motion. Our second motion would happen in july .2018. Thanks in advance

Answers (4)

It is upto the discretion of the court for the payment of the maintenance amount if it is paid in instalment. But if you want to know about the alimony which is one time payment that is only after the second motion is done.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

In mutual consented divorce, no maintenance is need to be paid as per the law and that is why it is mutual consented divorce. there is only one time settlement between the parties which is again purely on the wisdom and understanding of the parties wherever and at what amount they get settle. schedule to make payment is also to be decided by the parties only. so there is no scope of any ambiguity left in these kind of cases.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Preeti Joshi
District Court, Gurgaon
10 years Experience
Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar
Connaught Place, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Harish Malhotra
District Court, Gurgaon
21 years Experience
Advocate Prashant Mendiratta
Lajpat Nagar 4, Delhi
25 years Experience

Hi, I hope that you are doing great! The question of paying maintenance under a divorce for mutual consent comes only after a divorce decree is passed and, therefore, there is no question of paying it before that unless there is a court order for the same.
Maintenance is paid by a husband to her wife only after a decree/judgment of divorce by the court. That decree for divorce decides whether the divorce could be granted or not. Under S.13B of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 a divorce by mutual consent is granted by the court only after the first motion/presentation of the petition made by both the parties to the court and not earlier than 6 months or later than 18 months from the date of first motion, on being satisfied and after hearing both the parties that the marriage has to be dissolved.
When a couple gets divorced by mutual consent, the decision on whether any alimony/maintenance is to be paid by either party is a matter of agreement between them. In such cases, alimony/maintenance could be paid by either the husband to the wife or by the wife to the husband subject to the mutual understanding between the couple. The court passes the decree of divorce on terms agreed between the couple. The decree binds the couple and is capable of being enforced by the court. In contested matters, the court intervenes and decides the issue of alimony/maintenance on the merits of each case.
You do not need to worry! I hope that it answers your query. Have a nice day!

It depends upon the agreement you have entered into with your spouse. If you have agreed to pay maintenance during the pendency of the mutual consent divorce process, you have to pay it then, otherwise no.
PS: It is not feasible to grant any legal advice on this question without going through your agreement.

Related Articles

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Legal Services

Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

Sir, I m Hindu (petitioner)I cleared an RD (Dharkhwast) of pendent lite, In the meantime, I withdraw my Petition after Rd filed by respondent means af…

Read More

Harassment by wife. Daughter is 4 years old and i want to get the maintenance and wife is working and i am unemployed. How to calculate the maintenan…

Read More

My mother is living separately from my father for last 23 years but she didn't claim any maintenance because she was working, now she is retired …

Read More

Mera naam  hai Mene talak ka case fail kiya hai Delhi SE karkarduma court se meri wife NE 125 ka case kiya hai bulandsher se waha par 23/12/17 ko…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue