Procedure to file for divorce in case when address of spouse unknown

Hi, I am living in Bangalore. Got married in 2013 and am separated since 2015. My wife left me when I refused to meet her unreasonable demands of cutting off from my family, friends, neighbors entire circle. its' been more than 2 years, there has been no communication, we tried a lot to convince her parents for Mutual consent divorce, but they don't give any clear answer. No cases filed so far. She is an MTECH, working in MNC bank in IT field in Bangalore (i don't know her current address). There is a joint property and joint loan also. I have paid 90% of costs. Loan is being repaid by me, after paying a few EMIs she stopped, no contribution to down-payments. A lawyer said since I don't know her current address in Bangalore, we will.send summons to old address (last residing place together) if no one receives, then we will put in newspaper. Finally chances are court will grant ex-parte divorce. - How to file for divorce since I don't have address, is what my this said really possible?

Answers (2)

Yes, it is possible, you can take divorce from court by filing divorce petition and take paper publication for service of summons to your wife. After the publication, your wife doesn't appeared before the court she will place ex parte.. Then you can take divorce easily.. All the best..

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

In your problem you stated that you had made effort to serve the notice to her. Normally as you mentioned in your quarry the paper publication step is the final and once the paper publication is given it is presumed that notice is held sufficient.

Yes under the above circumstance your can get exparte divorce. Normally to the petition you need to mention her address as she last resided. so take steps to there and court may once again order for paper publication. After that on satisfying the reason of serving the notice, the court will pass exparte decree order.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

Me and my wife filed mutual consent divorce.we have an agreement of 6.5 lakhs.3 lakhs we paid already.with in the cooling off period she went abroad.s…

Read More

We got married in the year 2015. Since then things have not been very stable between us.My husband stays abroad for major part of the year and refuses…

Read More

Dear Laywers, We both agreed and filied mutual divorce petition after mutual agreement of full and final settlement in June2016 between the families. …

Read More

We have been living separately for 5 months.. can we apply for divorce?…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue