Procedure to file divorce without any documents submitted in court?

i had a court marriage with my boyfriend of 4yrs relationship without the knowledge of my parents. now my parents has come to know about it and they are totally against the relationship as he is a hindu and of different caste. i want to have a divorce but the problem is that he has kept the court marriage papers and is not even giving me a copy. the court marriage was done in the year 2014 according to hindu marriage act. so i want to know if the marriage can be nullified since im a christian by conversion even before the marriage,also have never lived with him as a wife socially as i was studying n staying in hostel, also the witnesses from my side and also his side are all his friends..even the advocate was also his friend. now he is threatening me that he will send a legal notice and that he will kill me wherever he finds me. i want to know the procedure of filling for divorce without any documentation of the marriage or how can i obtain the papers from the court? please help

Answers (3)

146 votes

Apply for a certified copy of the original court marriage certificate from the concerned Marriage Registrar's court. Then, file a suit in family court in the district where you live, seeking decree of divorce under the Special Marriage Act. Your facts are a bit unclear as if you are Christian and he is Hindu, then the issue is that of religion, not of caste. If you converted before marriage then marriage should have been under the Special marriage act and not under Hindu Marriage Act. These may be good grounds for saying that the marriage was registered under a fraud/misrepresentation, but you have to first apply to the Registrar where your marriage was registered.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

91 votes

You can nullify the marriage without the marriage certificate....
If he threatens n make u do something then its a matter u need to let the police know.
During trial the important facts will come to surface

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
214 votes

there is no procedure to file for divorce without documentation proof. how would the court be aware of the fact that the marriage was solemnized between you both. Secondly if he is threatening you, you can file a police complaint against the same.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles