need divorce as wife left 4 years ago i don't want to pay maintenance

I got married in 2011 and in Dec 2011 my wife started living seperately. Now its 2015. On what grounds can I get a divorce so that I dont have to pay any maintenance to her. Also, can i get an ex party divorce as I don't know where she stays now.

Answers (3)

54 votes

Ex parte divorce is possible only when she refuses to appear in court but you need to take steps to trace her. You may not have to pay maintenance only if she agrees or is working and earning. I'll be in a better position to advice only when I know about her occupation status. It's very premature to advice on maintenance aspect.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

108 votes

Yes, you can file petition on the ground of desertion. You can try for ex parte decree but it won't be an easy task. She can also challenge the ex parte decree in higher court. If she gets to know you have initiated the divorce proceedings she will contest and claim maintenance. In ex parte proceedings no question arises about maintenance.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
301 votes

Please note that more details would be required to answer any query. Whether have you filed a police complaint when she left? is she a working lady ? religion is important as different personal laws exists which provide different legal remedies aligned towards specific personal law. there can be many grounds; one of them be desertion and cruelty, her source of income if any etc.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles