Married in nepal. Marriage not registered in India. Still need divorce

Married for 2 years. The marriage took place in Nepal. Marriage is not registered in India. Do i still need divorce to proceed ahead in life in India?

Answers (3)

124 votes

If you have stayed in india along wit your wife you can file a petition in india and again many things have to be seen like how the marriage was solemnised and again the million dollar question would as to how the marriage was solemnised and for how long did you stay with your spouse and besides there are many other things which are to be considered

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

127 votes

Non-registration of marriage alone does not nullify married state. If the couple have lived together with intention and purpose and meaning of marriage then they are 'married' only. If the marriage was solomnized as per rites and rituals then, even if it was not registered it is a valid marriage in the eye of law and if one wants divorce, one has to approach the court of law. Remarriage without taking divorce is illegal and the second marriage is no marriage in the eyes of law also the person may be prosecuted for bigamy. So you still need to proceed with the divorce procedure.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
134 votes

in these circumstances if your marriage is valid according to the law of Nepal than you have to take divorce from your husband but in your circumstances if you have not left indian citizenship and resident of india you can file divorce petition in indian court.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles