Legal right to remarry as husband does not attend divorce hearings

Me and my ex were living separated for last 2 years, I have applied for divorce on 27th October 2017 and past 2 hearings (4 months) but my ex refuses to attend the court hearings; next hearing is on 31st march 2018. I read here that if ex refuses to attend court for 90 days then the for party can get remarry; so can I marry another person without any legal issues? if not when can i do so?

Answers (2)

218 votes

You have to attend the next hearing. Probably you your Ex-hubby has been set ex-parte. Next hearing you need to attend and file proof affidavit. Order will be passed. After passing order 30 days time is there for him/Respondent to set aside the order. You can do remarriage only after the order not before that.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

314 votes

On a combined reading of S.15 and 28 of the hindu marriage, till the time of appealing has expired, the persons cannot remarry. Therefore, till the expiry of the appeal period, the parties has to wait.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles