Is filing of domestic violence case compulsorily by an advocate?

My questions are 1) Is it compulsory to file Domestic Violence petition through an advocate only or being an individual and self dependent can I also file the same before the District Magistrate Court Mumbai? 2) Where to file (exact which location) if I stay at Mulund Area in Mumbai.

Answers (3)

114 votes

Query no1) yes you can file it on your own if you're aware of legal process however it is always better and advisable to file the same with legal expert.2) where the aggrieved person is residing can file complaint before the magistrates court of that area.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

322 votes

1. You can also file DV application in person. Advocate is not necessary for filing or pursuing the case. But Advocate is certainly helpful to draft it properly as he knows the nuances of law and you will not have any loopholes left.
2. You can file it in Metropolitan Magistrate's court Mulund which is situated just outside the Mulund station.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
220 votes

You can file complaints of your own in mulund magistrate court u/s 12 of protection of womens from domestic violence act or you can take the assistance of proecyion offuver appointdd by every districtssi

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles