Is divorce necessary for marriage not registered

My wife wants to divorce me after a whole year of mentally torturing my family and me. We don't have a marriage certificate and I will deny to sign the divorce papers. Please advise

Answers (3)

79 votes

If u and your wife really wants to divorce, hence you both needs to file petition before family court.
If one from you both are not ready to throw your marital relationship from each other then other one spouse can file separate divorce petition.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

333 votes

Kindly let me know which cast you belong? After knowing your cast and religion, I will be able to advise you as per the concerned personal laws. If you belong to few exempted cast than personal laws would not apply on you.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
170 votes

Yes, assuming you are Hindus, You can file for divorce under section 13 of the Hindu Marriage Act. One option available to you is filing for divorce by mutual consent, if your wife also agrees to the divorce.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles