Indian married in India & now a British citizen file divorce in India

01-Apr-2023 (In Divorce Law)
Can an Indian,,whose marriage was solemnised in INDIA,but now a British citizen can file divorce petition in India ?
Answers (3)

Answer #1
815 votes
Yes, a petition for divorce can be filed in India. However, this petition will lie (a) either in the District Court of the city where the marriage was solemnised, (b) District Court where the spouse lives in India or (c) where the couple last resided.

Answer #2
890 votes
Yes a person who is an Indian and whose marriage was solemnised in India but now a British citizen can get divorce in India. The jurisdiction which the court sees is that where the marriage was solemnised.
Answer #3
987 votes
Yes he can file a divorce in India if they have got married according to HINDU MARRIAGE ACT,1955 and at the time of marriage they got married in India according to HINDU rituals then he can file a divorce petition in Indian court even though after marriage he had taken a British citizenship.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."