Husband left and no idea where he is. What is the divorce procedure?

We got married in court (19-may-14) and within 2 months of marriage he took all my money and left without even informing(31-Jul-14). His parents demanded dowry before marriage so he wanted to marry in a court. But after marriage his sole purpose was taking money from me. we did not have any kind of relation even after marriage and suddenly he vanished, I tried filing a complaint but police only wrote missing complaint which they closed without information as soon as the boy went there and signed. There is no contact since then and i want divorce as early as possible. Kindly advise..

Answers (3)

295 votes

This question has been answered by one of our lawyers. See answer below.

185 votes

U can file a case seeking divorce on the ground of desertion and cruelty. U can also file a case under the Domestic Violence Act. U can seek maintance from your husband during the pendency of the divorce petition.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

344 votes

As of now there is only one proceeding which can be initiated against your husband. Petition under Section 9 of the Hindu Marriage Act. This is great for seeking order from court directing him to take you back respectfully as your wife. Maintenance can be sought if admits his intention to take you home as his wife. The other proceedings can also be initiated depending upon other facts involved in your matter.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
24 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles