×

quesHusband left and no idea where he is. What is the divorce procedure?

We got married in court (19-may-14) and within 2 months of marriage he took all my money and left without even informing(31-Jul-14). His parents demanded dowry before marriage so he wanted to marry in a court. But after marriage his sole purpose was taking money from me. we did not have any kind of relation even after marriage and suddenly he vanished, I tried filing a complaint but police only wrote missing complaint which they closed without information as soon as the boy went there and signed. There is no contact since then and i want divorce as early as possible. Kindly advise..

This question has been answered by one of our lawyers. See answer below.

• ansU can file a case seeking divorce on the ground of desertion and cruelty. U can also file a case under the Domestic Violence Act. U can seek maintance from your husband during the pendency of the divorce petition.

Advocate Jiwan Pal Singh

Tis Hazari Court, Delhi

• ansSeems like your husband is clearly deserted you. Now depending on what your demands are on him for example whether you want your belongings and money back, you may have to file a Contested petition for divorce among other criminal proceedings and In the event you have no such claims then if his family can be approached and talked too maybe a mutual consent petition. Anyway this is just general advise based on your query. It's only after a detailed meeting can a more specific advise be given to you.

Supreme Court of India, Delhi

• ansAs of now there is only one proceeding which can be initiated against your husband. Petition under Section 9 of the Hindu Marriage Act. This is great for seeking order from court directing him to take you back respectfully as your wife. Maintenance can be sought if admits his intention to take you home as his wife. The other proceedings can also be initiated depending upon other facts involved in your matter.

Advocate Ashima Puri

Saket District Court, Delhi