Husband forcefully married me in Nepal, can I apply for divorce

Dear Sir, I am 26 years from Bihar working in MNC. My story started 7 years ago when i was just 19. I fell in love with a guy who was 6 years elder to me. He approached my parents for marriage but they denied as I was studying and wasnt in the right age of marriage. One fine day he called me and asked to go with him to a temple for some puja. Unaware of his intentions i went with him but he forcefully took me to Nepal where he marriede as per Hindu rituals. I was terrified n shocked as he threaten me to not say anything against him as my father filed a complai t against him for kidnapping. In the court I did as he said. Since he threatened me that he will bring harm to me and my family. I said yes He did not kidnape but I went with him. Later,my father didnt say anything and he askede to complete my studies first and then we'll get married in a proper ceremony. We never lived together, just he usd to visite once in a month or two in some other state where i used to study. Does the issue even qualify for a divorce

Answers (3)

88 votes

Dear Madam,
Your case is very complicated and needs detailed discussion. You are legally married to the person. Is he an Indian or Nepali? Do you have a Marriage Certificate? Is the complaint filed by your father pending or not? What is your present relationship with the boy? Do you want to live with him or do you want to divorce him? Unless we discuss in person I cannot give you a detailed advice.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

185 votes

Ya sure mom. You can file police complaint against him and also for divorce within your residence jurisdictional family court. In case your husband agrees, both of you file mutual consent divorce petition.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
23 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
146 votes

Hi , so sad, forget it. Once marriage happened by obtaining the consent by force, fraud or undue influence then you approach the court for the decree of nullity of marriage. You can file the petition where you are staying. Further, your marriage also not consummated and you have not lived together. By considering all those facts divorce will be surely granted. If you need any further clarification feel free to contact me.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles