Husband asking to return jewelry given during wedding

I have filed for divorce due to incompatibility, irreconcilable differences & most importantly non consummation of marriage . Husband has asked to return jewellery received by me during wedding like necklace,Bangles,ring, earrings,etc.he has even inflated the value of jewellery given by 3 times. Am I supposed to return jewellery while seeking divorce? Will he return cash/dowry given & expenses made in wedding? How to contest & refute?

Answers (3)

66 votes

as you are saying tht you have filled divorce due to non sconsumation of marriage as well as irrecovrable differences between u and ur husband. in this matter you are worried about your allimony and stridhan tou will get it back as well as you have to give back the his jwellarry

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

336 votes

Hello ma'am. I have perused your query. Any gift recieved by a woman during or after her marriage is her sole property. You are the absolute owner of any jewellery that was given to you and the same need not be returned if you so desire. Please feel free to reach out to me in case you wish to discuss the matter in more detail.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
24 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
127 votes

to be honest, if you have already filed a case in court, you should consult with your own counsel rather than going behind his back since it is completely unethical to do so. also, in case of conflicting or different advise, you will be the one suffering.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles