How to proceed in case of contested divorce

My husband is not ready for divorce and my family is not allowing me to take divorce not one is ready to listen me. Its been 3years we are not together but still no one is ready get divorce. I want to apply for divorce how can i do that im the only one no is supporting me. Please help.

Answers (3)

120 votes

Since you both are not leading a marital life and have been physically separated from each other for more than 3 years, you can file a divorce petition on the grounds of irretrievable break down of marriage.
No one can force another person to forcefully lead a marital life if the marriage has irretrievably broken down.
you can file a divorce petition either at a place where marriage was solemnized or at the place where you are residing currently.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

302 votes

Particulars are insufficient. Why do you opt for divorce. What is the reason. Courts are there to cooperate both to live together. If reason for separation is strong court will grant you divorce. You must take legal assistance by engaging an expert advocate in dealing family cases.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
182 votes

As per your query it is clear that your husband is not ready for Divorce. You said you both were living separately for the past 3 years. You did not state whether there are any chances of re union. You can approach the conerned court and apply for divorce. You approach an Advocate.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles