How to change marital status on certificate

Good morning sir My self Alka I got marriage with USA citizen. Before this ,I was in Australia with my partner without marriage. I had baby born there ,me and my partner seperated now since last five years. Now married with USA citizen. Now He want apply visa for me and my daughter. But we did little bit mistake in marriage certificate form that I suggested my status as divorced.Actually it should have been separated. I made mistake there. What should I do now?Because i was single separated before marriage. Plz guide me how I solve this problem? Thx

Answers (4)

324 votes

Good Morning Alka,

You can approach the concern registration office and file an application for correction in the documents,
You can file a suit for declaration in the concerned court in case the inspector general registrar deny to do the necessary correction .


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

137 votes

For this you first approach the authority who have given you the certificate. There you need to submit affidavit for changing status from " Divorced " to " Separated ". It may take time. If they deny then ask then whether order of court for changing the same is sufficient?

Generally, court would allow the same in good faith and for justice. So, it's possible to change status in marriage certificate but you first need to obtain proper decree of the court or else proper representation before competent authority.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
186 votes

Firstly if you haven't Marriage with Australian guy then why you mentioned in marriage form that you are divorcee.
Non of marriage certificates mention that you are married or not.
Second thing make adoption deed and get a court order of said deed and get passport of you daughter in name of American guy.

176 votes

You should rectify your marriage certificate form and rectify the mistake. Then after you and USA citizen both are take the child as adopted child and file the petition before the court for change of name in birth certificate of child so that the name of USA citizen appeared in birth certificate then may apply for visa for your and your child. Today the status of child is illegitimate child so lendhi process

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles