Harassment by in-laws.How to file for divorce and get child custody

I am a hindu, married for 1.6 years. I have a girl child aged 1 month. I find my in-laws and my husbands relatives highly abusive of me. My husband is failing to support me, my in-laws and his other relatives are threatening me and my parents that they will snatch the kid from me. I am afraid if I go back to my husbands place i will be subjected to verbal abuse and also physical abuse by my in-laws. Previously soon after marriage I was subjected to dowry harrassment (verbal abuse) by my in-laws. Also I find my husband highly egoistic and arrogant. he drinks and gets closer to other girls too (I have a photo evidence for this). Please let me know how to solve this

Answers (4)

203 votes

Dear Madam,
You are undergoing a lot of torture. If you have decided to go for divorce then you have to contact a Lawyer & file for divorce on the ground that you are tortured mentally & physically. All the things you have stated surely is cruelty and you can get a divorce. Also you can file cases for Domestic Violence Act, Dowry Act and harassment etc.You can also file for custody of the child and for maintenance for you and the child. When you decide to file for divorce, try to take your child and all your valuables & certificate from your husband's house before you leave his house. Kindly contact me immediately I will help you immediately.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

291 votes

Firstly, send a legal notice through a lawyer to your husband asking him to stop abusing you, otherwise, you would have to file for divorce. See what reply is given to you by your husband.
If you think that the situation is not going to change file a petition seeking divorce in appropriate Court and also ask for custody of the child. As the child is very young, getting custody should not be a problem.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
334 votes


You have all the rights to give police complaint against your husband and in-laws in all women police station regarding harassment and dowry. Also, if you wish to divorce then you can file divorce petition along with maintenance case.

87 votes

Try to settle all the issues through the elders of the family members. If unable to sort out the issues then if you wish and that the marriage life is not feasible and fruitful ten you may file the divorce petition on the ground on physical and verbal crulety. The child is one month year old , so nobody the child custody from you. But your husband can get visitation right to see his child at your home or other places fixed by the court through court. Inrespect of dowry harassment is concern you can lodge a criminal complaint against your them. If you feel any clarification, feel free to contact me.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles