Grounds under which wife can seek divorce as husband not interested

Hi, I am a Hindu married to a Christian under the Christian Marriage Act for 8years. I was made to convert to Christianity for he marriage. However, I am still a practising Hindu. My husband is financially and professionally unstable, and to some extent dependent on me financially. We have no kids (because of my gynaecological complication). If he is not willing to divorce me, how can I seek a divorce ‘at the earliest’? Please advise!!

Answers (3)

Hello pls clear some issues apki marriage hindu marriage act k according h ya Christian marrage k act mai...or apke husband apse divorce lena chahte h ki nhi. .

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

As your marriage was solemnised according to the Christian form under the Indian Christian Marriage Act, 1872 with a Christian man you can apply for divorce under section 10 of the Divorce Act,1869 .
The grounds for divorce as provided under this provision includes the act of cruelty by him on the basis of which your living with the person is harmful and injurious for you to live with him.
As far your financial support to him is concerned that you should stop immediately. Under the Divorce Act,1869 only the wife and not husband is eligible to seek maintenance/alimony during the pendency of the main petition of divorce u/s 36 of the Act or permanent alimony at the time of decree u/s 37 of the Act.
You can even file criminal complaint against him for domestic violence under the Protection of Women from the Domestic Violence Act,2005 for cruelty and harassment inflicted by him for which you can seek compensation and protection order against him so that he keeps way from you and stop disturbing you during the pendency and thereafter the divorce proceedings.
Once you move for legal action against him, he will come for compromise and will amicably agree for divorce by mutual consent for which he refuses now.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience

You can file a divorce on various grounds. Your facts need to be clearer for the same.
Grounds for divorce for a woman are.
1 Cruelty
2 Adultery
3 Dissertion
4 Impotency
5 Conversion
6 Communicable disease like leprosy.
7 Renunciation of world.

Please discuss the facts in detail for a genuine advice.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

Can a Hindu person applying for DIVORSE will get it without three joint meeting. My sister and her husband had problem in life and my brother-in-law a…

Read More

Sir, I have call recordings of my wife in which she talk to her sister and tell that when I touch her she tells bad and when other boy touches her she…

Read More

Hi, I've been married for 5 months now. My wife has some major mental and health issues. She's been torturing me off and on. She went to the level of …

Read More

I found my husband is physically unfit on very first day of marriage(Nov 2017). And after consulting doctor, I found that he is also a patient of psyc…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue