Divorcing PIO cardholder

My wife is non-Indian and holds a PIO card. We have been married for 5 years but now want to divorce each other with mutual consent. What is the fastest way to do so and what happens to her PIO card? Please advise!

Answers (3)

99 votes

The initial question would be as to whether you were marrid in india and the proof of marriage would be required and you can file a mutual divorce petition but it will take atleast six and half months time and she can seek the cancellation of card or she can retain the card

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

302 votes

I am glad that despite the uneasiness of divorce, the both you have decided to end this amicably. Divorce by Mutual Consent is the fastest way to do so. The PIO card will have to be surrendered after the divorce and she will need to leave the country unless she obtains a visa. As far as the divorce is concerned, factors such as what faith you profess and where you were married need to be considered. The two of you should speak with a family law expert who can guide you in this as it could possibly involve issues of private international law. If you have any further questions, feel free to post them here.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
118 votes

There is legal process in mutual consent for 12 month you can't do anything in that and your wife had PIO card, in that you do not have any benefit.
your query for mutual consent about time is clear above for 12 month in that no can do anything because its a process.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles