Divorce options after lodging FIR against NRI husband

My NRI husband has abandoned myself and my daughter in India. I wish to file complaint with NCW - they are willing to help me but they want me to file FIR. My question is - if I file an FIR and if they revoke his passport after he comes to India, can I still file divorce against him or does that process take long? Right now he is willing for mutual divorce but that way he escapes from a lot of punishment that he should ideally get (he has cheated me financially and has made any contact with his child nor paid for his child since last 3 months). I want to do FIR but I am scared the matter will drag really long? What kind of divorce options I have after FIR?

Answers (3)

270 votes

when you go for mutual divorce in that case you can claim permanent alimony that means a certain amount for your and your child for future. instead of giving punishment physically you can punish him financially bay way of taking more money. if you go for FIR , then it affects your divorce. he will not ready to give divorce until and unless you withdraw police case. so it is good for you to go for mutual divorce and claim more alimony. and punish him financially by claiming more money for you and your child.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

220 votes

My Response to your query:

If your husband ready for mutual divorce than you can place terms and conditions as per your convince. If you wish to receive some amount for mentaince you can ask while mutual divorce.

If you file FIR it will enitiate criminal proceedings in which both have to go through that after that you will may lose chance of mutual divorce because of husbsnd view.

I will suggest you to go through mutual divorce with proper terms and conditions.

For More detail you may contact me

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
218 votes

Dear queriest, as per your query you have mentioned about the fact that your husband is NRI, and has abandoned you and your daughter and as you said you are willing to make a complaint before NCW, wherein they too are helping you, but for the same they want you to register an FIR against your husband, yes they are right, as it's the part of the procedure and also it is going to drag you for long, if you really don't want to get dragged then you need to settle the matter for letting him pay the alimony for you and your daughter and get mutually separated. for rest kindly call me for the same.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles