Divorce by mutual consent what is the procedure

Myself and my wife had been married for around 10 years under Hindu Marriage Act and due to indifferences, I had been living separately from past 3 years. I had applied for contested divorce in september, 2016 which is still pending in the court, though the same had been converted to ex parte as my wife had refused earlier to accept the summons and appear in court. Now, wee both had decided to go ahead for divorce by mutual consent. 1. Is it possible to convert the present case from contested to mutual divorce. 2. Whether cooling period of 6 months can be waived off in the present case and decree can be granted immediately after submission of deed to family court. 3. Whether application for weiver of cooling period need to be submitted to family court only or it needs to be submitted to high court.

Answers (3)

71 votes

If your wife is agreeable for divorce, she may admit your petition without admitting allegations. You may pass a pursis withdrawing allegations. Straightway decree of divorce can be passed without waiting for 6 months period

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

82 votes

You can convert your petition in to mutual consent as sec. 13 B of Hindu marriage act.
Non other then high court or Supreme Court can pass order of cooling period so wait for 6 month and you don't need to submit 6 month wave application in family court.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
209 votes

Where you have filed your divorce case? I mean which city. There is a cooling period of 6 months. But you can save that without applying for waiving the same. For that stage of your current case and court is must. Then you can get it immediately.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles