Clarification on grounds for annulment of marriage

1) Can marriage be annulled if the girl has not revealed that she is divorcee to the groom? 2) If Yes, how much time does it take and what is the procedure?

Answers (4)

300 votes

No. On this ground alone marriage cannot be annulled. For annulment of marriage you need to file a petition before the family court praying for annulment on the grounds as provided in the Hindu Marriage act. There is no time period prescribed for deciding the case. However, it might take 6 months to 2 years on the basis of the evidence involved and cooperation by the parties.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

115 votes

According to Hindu Marriage Act 1955, a marriage can only be annulled as specified in section 11 and that of 5 I), III and iv of the act. And in response to
Your query whether the marriage can be annulled if the girl has not revealed that she is divorcee to the groom?
My answer is no. Not at all.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
222 votes

Marriage can be declared as null and void if you could prove that she was married to some one and no divorce has been taken from him till date. Mere not disclosing that she is divorcee not Hindu law only only one marriage is allowed at one time. You have to file petition under section 11 of Hindu marriage act for declaration of marriage null and void on the ground that she was married at the time of seconf marriage and no divorce was granted by the Court.

342 votes

Yes marriage can be annulled on this basis on the ground of cruelty and that after knowing this fact both of you are living separately for more than a year.. however you must have strong evidence for the same. Procedure is filing for divorce on the ground of cruelty and it will take any where from 3 and above years depending on the facts, circumstances nd evidences.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

I got married on Nov 2016,hindu rites. It was a love cum arranged marriage. Initially my husband was supporting me in front of my family. His family a…

Read More

My husband has not been working for the last six yrs prior to which he was in and out of jobs. There has been no intimacy for longer than that duratio…

Read More

I got married on 3rd Oct. However we have decided not to stay together after 23 rd of October due to impotancy of husband. Since from that day we are …

Read More

once upon a time u loved a person so much that u were ready to do anything, n years later u find it difficult to stay with the same person, cos of the…

Read More