Clarification on filing of divorce after 6 months of marriage

Is it possible to file a petition for divorce within 6months of Register marriage? And if so how much is the duration period given.

Answers (2)

297 votes

It is possible to file a petition for nullity of marriage within a year from the date of marriage. One need not wait for more than a year as in the case of petition for divorce. I would like you to go through void and voidable marriages. The grounds in those two are very clear. If any of those grounds match yours, you can the said petition. I do not know which religion you belong to, if Hindu - refer Hindu marriage act, if Christian - refer special marriage act, and if both spouses are of different religion - refer Indian divorce act.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

141 votes

You cannot file for divorce within 1 year of solemnisation of marriage, you will have to wait for one year.
Although you can file for annulment of marriage within one year on the ground of fraud, impotency, unsoundness of mind of the other party etc.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

I had booked a flat way back in 2011. In good faith, I had kept my wife's name in agreement of sale. But now I am divorced from my wife and my inl…

Read More

Sir, I filed divorce petition in family court and it was allowed by decree. I want to know after how many days , I can marry again through court marri…

Read More

Hi, I am a resident of Canada with Indian Passport. My wife came to Canada on the basis of sponsorship I provided her. Then she filed police complaint…

Read More

My father is having mental problem and getting treatment from IBHAS, delhi since 2014. Doctor prescribes anti-psychotic drugs on monthly basis. My mot…

Read More