can we be help liable fr suicide of our spouses if we walk out on them

What if I walk out of my marriage since I love another man and he walks out too...and we send Divorce Notices to our respective partners and one of them commits suicide and names either or both of us as the reason for suicide. The reasons for us to walk out of our marriages and mainly Compatibility Challenges.

Answers (3)

108 votes

First of all,you have to take divorce from your spouse. Without taking divorce ,indulging in relationship with another person will create illegal relation. No value of this relation in the eyes of law. Apart from that ,if any spouse commit suicide for the reason and named in the suicide note. Than that person can be punished in Law u/s 306 of IPC up to 10 year of Punishment.

For further query contact .

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

168 votes

Yes, one can be booked under section 304(B) AND /0R 306 of IPC for the suicide of other spouse in the present circumstances.I have seen a matter where the spouse committed suicide during the mutual consent divorce proceeding and police booked the other spouse under section 304(B) and other sections of the Indian Penal Code.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
265 votes

Please note that in case such a suicide note is recovered, then the chances are that the Police would register the case and carry out investigation. However, it depends on the contents of the Suicide note and whether there is any thing further to what all you stated in your query.

The law as to this is abetment to suicide. There has to be an act of incitement or coaxing some person to take his/her own life.

If the reason is simple that you walk out of marriage and seek divorce, then chances are that such case would not stand test of law and you would be acquitted. Be that as it may, the case could be registered and lot depends on the investigation and quality of evidence against you.


Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles