Can mother get share in property without filing divorce

Father is having an affair with other woman my mothers medical condition is not good I want to know whether she can ask for share in property without filing for divorce

Answers (3)

131 votes

no she can not. She can file proceedings for maintenance and she is entitled to right of residence but if the property is in the sole name of father, mother can not ask for share before the death or in consequence of divorce proceedings.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

327 votes

If your mother is a joint owner in the property than she can ask for share in the property without filing divorce. If in case she wants to stay separately from your Father she is required to file a complaint under Domestic Violence Act in which she can ask for an order for a separate residence. However the Court will take into consideration all the factors like your Father's income etc before passing the order.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
235 votes

Dear client yr mother can ask share in property of yr father by filling suit for partition in civil court. She can also ask maintenance by filling case under sec 125 of criminal procedure code. For any legal help call me

Adv prasad patil


Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles