Can I ask for alimony during cooling off period in mutual divorce case

can I apply for alimony while applying for mutual consent petition I have not asked alimony now the court has given six months time so there is a chance of applying now

Answers (4)

118 votes

Even in Divorce by Mutual Consent, alimony can be claimed. You can seek alimony when the case is called after the 6-month period. When the case is called, your Advocate can make a submission that you are seeking alimony and proceed accordingly.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

135 votes

why you did not ask for alimony at the time or before filing of the consent petition, and that even during the course of proceedings before the Hon'ble court in the said mutual consent petition you can claim alimony if you are entitle to

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
330 votes

yes of course you can move a petition for maintenance under section 125 of the CRPC seeking for monthly maintenance or you can file a petition under Domestic violence Act seeking for residence and for alimony

250 votes

no you cant ask now during this period. the six moth time given if possible to patch with your relation. in this period if you are not claimed any alimony in mutual consent now you cant rise new ground. you can seek only filing amendment application to the mutual consent petition seeking alimony.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles