Can alimony be claimed after receiving a lump sum amount already

I want to know that after mutual divorce, where I received a lump sum amount of 10 lakh. Can I file a case again maintenance for my daughter expenses? The cases were domestic violence, maintenance and dowry that after chamber meet with the judge it was changed into mutual divorce.. I was 23 years old at that time very young did not know what to do or what was going on. my daughter is 9 years old now soon to be 10 but its difficult for me to handle her expenses. as I am a sole earner. I did not marry again. he got married again and his current wife has also filed the same cases. DM, maintenance n all. So just wanted to know what are my chances.

Answers (3)

Hello! I hope this answer finds you in good spirit. As far as I gather from your query, the facts provided by you are that you are divorced on the ground of mutual consent after you entered into full and final settlement and you received a lump sum of Rs.10 lakh. Now, after divorce, you are still unmarried, having a daughter while your ex-husband is remarried. If these facts are correct, then as per law you are still entitled to claim enhanced maintenance under the changed circumstances (your daughter's welfare) under S.25 of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955. In the alternative, you can claim maintenance under S.125(4) of the Cr.P.C. Therefore, you are different options to avail the remedy.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

You have right to claim maintenance for daughter. Yours personal settlement does not defeat the legal rights of your daughter. Maintenance right is already laid down under section 125 of the Criminal Procedure Code and for this purpose you have to move appropriate claim petition before the Magistrate Court.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Preeti Joshi
District Court, Gurgaon
11 years Experience
Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar
Connaught Place, Delhi
22 years Experience

Yes you can claim for your daughter. And the cases filed by the second wife will also help. Please contact a lawyer for filing a case on your daughter's behalf. A daughter has all the right to claim maintenance from father

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Legal Services

60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

Hi Sir, Me and my wife have filed for MCD in the last month, So now the cooling period is 6 months (Sep). Can I apply for new passport, even though I …

Read More

The divorce application has been filled on 28th October 2018. one time police varification is done and till now no updates. The lawyer is saying this …

Read More

I am a 35 year old hindu woman with two female kids. One is five year old and another one is 1 year old. Husband has family business in village. want …

Read More

Can a NRI guy married in India and Divorced by mutual consent in Canada remarry another girl in India? Is the Canadian Divorce recognized in the India…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue