Can a wife live in her husband's house after filing a mutual divorce

I am a hindu. And I have filed for a mutual consent divorce. I would like to know if I still have the rights to stay in my husband's house after filing for divorce until the verdict

Answers (2)

That is your wish. The main object of mutual consent divorce petition. They will give six month time. In between these interval there is possibility of joining may happen. In our law we always against divorce. Unless or otherwise it is necessary then only they give divorce. Other wise they wont. Under mutual consent divorce petition they will give six month time because in these six months there a chance of withdrawal of petition. So staying in your husband's house is your wish. They won't compel you to stay in that house also. This is your liberty

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

No. That is not possible. The separation is important to divorce proceedings. It will be treated as husband living with wife. Hence it is not divorce. The HMA is clear on that . Getting divorce not be able.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

My sister is ill (multiple strokes, surgeries leading to physical and mental shortcomings). Her husband and she have had a difficult marriage since th…

Read More

By way of introduction, I am Ashwini. I am currently living in Singapore and need your advice on getting a divorce in India. My husband and I are livi…

Read More

What if my wife changes her mind after agreeing to Divorce by Mutual consent? Can I bind her legally to her consent so that she does not have an optio…

Read More

My brother and her wife went through first motion of divorce process with mutual consent . Now six months are over but her lawyer is forcing her to re…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue