Can a divorce be filed in India if married in some other country

We both are from nepal. We got married in nepal only. Now i am residing in india and also has indian aadhar card. My husband does not have indian aadhar. I want to divorce him without any condition. Where can I file a case ? I want to stay in india only.

Answers (2)

147 votes

adhar card is not proof for residence. you have not mentioned both you and your husband mutually decided to take divorce. if mutual agreed both can filed the divorce petition where you reside. also you can filed the divorce if not mutually agreed and you want to file the divorce petition.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

83 votes

Both of you are hindu. You can always file divorce in India... If compatibility doesn't exist then divorce is the solution.if your husband is in India then divorce is easy else summon will be served to him where he resides.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles