Validity of an Anticipatory bail in India

My brother has filed a divorce case and has also taken anticipatory bail since his wife is threatening him that she will file a dowry harassment & domestic violence case against him. Hence wanted to know what is the time period for which the Anticipatory bail is valid?


An Anticipatory Bail comes into action only after an FIR is filed against you and not before that. So if you have an Anticipatory Bail and a police officer arrests you, then you should produce the Anticipatory Bail before him and then he is bound to release you.

An application for Anticipatory Bail can be made to the High Court or the Court of Sessions, however normally it is to presented firstly to the Sessions Court unless case is made out straightway to the High court.

One can apply for anticipatory bail after filing of a cognizable case and before arrest.

Regarding period of validity of anticipatory bail, it depends upon the discretion of the court to grant the duration of validity of anticipatory bail. Where the court does not specify, it normally remains valid till your case is completely disposed of.

Generally court grants anticipatory bail for a period of 30 days and after the period of 30 days, one needs to apply for regular bail. But if the person is arrested, he must produce his Anticipatory Bail and also file for regular bail during the stipulated time of the Anticipatory Bail. Once the stipulated time expires, the person should either file for the extension of Anticipatory Bail or file it afresh. The anticipatory bail is granted till the filing of charge sheet but when charge sheet is filed, you need to go for regular bail.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

Sir my brother have been arrested in charge of ipc 162 and ipc 420.what is my nxt step for applying bail bond…

Read More

My uncle has been falsely accused of accepting bribe. I have applied for a bail in the city court which got rejected and I thus moved to the high cour…

Read More

My neighbors have filed a false case of grievous hurt against me. Since the FIR was registered, I had to apply for a bail which was granted to me the …

Read More

I hit on head with rod on my neighbour. He is very rich and i am middle class person. I hit him because he was teasing my girlfriend. How i can get an…

Read More