Procedure to file defamation case against sister in law & family

My brother got married in 2001 and his wife filed false complaint ...against my brother ,me and wife and my mother who passed away...she filed false complaint of dowry,sexual harrasment case against family.. Since 2007 we have been fighting our dignity has been decreased by brother wife. She filed that they gave us lg CD player which was not developed by company at that time ..I have a letter of company stating no product was available at that time ....she took 3 lakh rupees for settlement in court ...but then she rejected on next date...never gave our money...she and her mother did n't come regular on cases..we want to file a

Answers (4)

312 votes

You need to elaborate your case in details for proper advice in this matter. But as per the present fact and circumstances you can not file a case of defamation as the matter is derived out of matrimonial issues as per the judgement of supreme court in this regard.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

273 votes

You should file a defamation case under section 499 and section 500 I.P.C.The Punishment of defamation is simple imprisonment for two years or with fine or with both. Do not let her harass you and your entire family.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
79 votes

Sir, Defamation Suit, in this case wont be maintainable. You can a file a case for filling wrong evidence and statement before the court. Anything said before courts or judge is not defamation. If she has said these things before other persons then that would be a defamation case.

100 votes

Defamation case is not maintainable under the given facts and circumstances. You may explore other opportunities depending upon the case. But defamation is not at all maintainable. If your brother has not yet been divorced, you may proceed to file divorce on the grounds of cruelty.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles