Procedure to file a case against for bigamy having sufficient proof

A married man (registered marriage with first wife) in a relationship and a child was born out of the relationship. They never performed marriage rituals neither claimed to be husband and wife. In Baby's birth certificate, the name of the married man is given as father's name. So, if the first wife files for bigamy, can she prove bigamy with the child's birth certificate? Religion Hindu

Answers (4)

172 votes

May be or may be not. You can try to prove by showing the birth Certificate of that baby, the person whose name has been enlisted in the Father Column is his father whereas, he did not perform marriage ritual with the mother of that baby. But as the birth certificate shows the father and mother of that baby was the lady and the said Person. That's why it will be presume that the lady is the 2nd wife of that man.
On the other hand, if the man stated that, he did not know the baby and said lady. his name was enlisted due to mistake. he has no information in this regard. Then can you proof that the lady is the 2nd wife of that man?
For bigamy Marriage is required to be prove. either by Certificate, or by Photos etc.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

69 votes

It is not crystal clear who is the baby's mother?If you have sufficient prove that your husband is engaged in adultary then you can easily file a suit for adultery but remember 1 thing adultery is difficult to prove.You require other proof's also in support of your allegation apart from birth certificate.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
275 votes

Yes definitely, I guess the first wife is planning for a divorce and she can easily do so by consulting an advocate and filing an application praying for divorce on grounds of bigamy and therein the baby's birth certificate and other proof can be annexed.

137 votes

Yes she can file a case for bigamy to seek divorce and will get maintainence.she should prefer a criminal case under relevant sections of law and under domestic violence act.for more information you can contact me.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles