Office person not allowing me to file FIR for my laptop which is lost

29-Mar-2023 (In Criminal Law)
I am a Central Government Officer. Few days ago, my personal laptop got stolen from the office. I intimated my superior and lodged a police FIR within 3 hours of the incident. The laptop contained valuable bank and personal information. Now a particular office person is accusing me by saying that I don't have the right to lodge personal FIR. Is it true? What should I do now?
Answers (2)

Answer #1
610 votes
You have the right to lodge personal FIR, since the laptop is your personal property. Nevertheless since it contained some valuable data or information involving your Department, hence my suggestion would be write a communication to your superior and Head of Department with regard to the said incident and the steps taken by you, that is, the details of the FIR lodged, consequently if the department wishes to lodge another complaint on their own, it is upto their wish and desire. You are absolutely well within your rights to lodge complaint of your stolen laptop.
Answer #2
524 votes
NO. actually it is not FIR against a particular person. But it will be treated as Missing Complaint a G.D. Entry No will be generated against the stolen article. If it be found out by the Police Personal then specific case will be started against the accused person. Generally during Official hours if anything will happen, we firstly informed it to the Superior or Incharge of that particular Office verbally or by way of written. Thereafter either said Incharge or direct the person can lodged written Complaint before the nearest Police Station. In this regard No Sanction will be needed in your Case. Therefore, do not hazitated his acts.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."