Legal action as boy threatening to defame the girl using her mail

My cousin was in a relationship with a boy(both Hindu)for 8months.She ended the relationship because the boy was cheating on her.One mutual friend asked about their relationship so she told him that they are not together as the boy was cheating on her.This friend revealed this conversation to the boy without informing her.The boy got angry and threatened her that he will put a defamation case on her if she doesn’t apologise over email and even sent a draft format for a formal apology.We did not want to get into any trouble so my cousin wrote the mail saying that her conversation with the mutual friend was not intended to defame him and it was a conversation between two friends.After 2-3 days the boy again wrote her a mail saying that she should keep her mouth shut and he will show the previous mail to all the common people to prove her lie.She is quite afraid as the boy even threatened to come to her house and create a scene.Are there grounds of a case of defamation against my cousin?

Answers (2)

55 votes

Na case of defamation is made out against your cousin, nothing to be worried about defamation, but it is advisable for her that she lodge a complaint against that boy for blackmailing her so that police can take action against him.
This is a prima facie advise better advise cane be given after looking to the email communications carried out between boy and girl.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

303 votes

Hello Query raiser

If the relationship was simply friendship without getting physical then her boy friend cannot take any legal action. Regarding the matter of coming home to defame her she should take her family members in confidence by telling the facts. The Boy can be issued communication in the form of milk warning about the defamation action if at all he is contemplating against your cousin. She should say full details about the alleged e mail exchanged between them. If there is nothing like commitment then her boy friend cannot take any action. She can also give counter defamation notice to her boy friend for his conduct and threat.

Ashok Amin

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Shashi Kant Sharma
District Court, Gurgaon
11 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles