Is it okay to miss court hearings

Hi there , High Court listing date over but not updated online this is the first thing and this case is for quash for 498a 4&6 of DP Act as it is a false one . Unfortunately all the lower court dates (4 till now ) I was not present. I want to know is it ok to be absent when doing job in other countries ? while we have a quash case active in high court. and very recently the police came to our house for investigation . Lawyer says nothing will happen if there is any thing ask police to call him. and should i be present on the quash case hearing date ( me and my mom filed for quash ) Under the MP number of the high court case where we files quash. i see M.P. PRAYER TEXT to stay all further proceedings including the appearance of the Petitioners in C.C. No. XYZ/2016 of xyz PS, City, which is pending on the file of the lower court .. Does this mean that the lower court should halt all proceedings .. if yes then why did police came to our house for investigation . Thanks

Answers (3)

It is that your petition has been listed for hearing.
Please note that the high court has not passed any orders in your case. so the police can legally continue their investigations.
So, ask your lawyer to either get your case quashed by high court or obtain the stay of arrest till the case in high court is decided.
Mere filing of petition in high court does not mean that the lower court or police cannot continue with the proceedings.
There should be a specific stay order of the court either to police or lower court .

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Hello sir,

Appearing before the Court on receipt of summons of the court is mandatory. Did you obtain stay including appearance in quash petition or is Crl.M.P. pending ?

First appearance is mandatory.

Police will come till filing of charge sheet only, after charge sheet, there is no role of Police.

If you not appear before the Court, then the Court will issue warrants, may be police came for that purpose.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience


The pendency of the quash proceedings in the high court is nothing to do with the trial process in the magistrate (trial) court and you are not immune to the trial process if you filed quash petition. During quash proceedings in high court, you need not to be present as your counsel can manage. The proceedings in the trial court will be stayed by the high court pending disposal of the quash petition. Please note that police has the statutory power u/s 173 of Cr.PC to carry out further investigation into a case even after filing charge sheet and on discovery of further evidence, the police can file additional charge sheet. As your counsel said that he will manage if police call you again, do not worry.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

Hi I am writing on behalf of my friend who is a NRI currently in India. Recently he came to India as his father died but his wife confronted him, dema…

Read More

I am a Hindu girl. Was immensely tortured physically and mentally by hisband and inlaws. Lodged complain. 498A impounded. But all got bail. I m stayin…

Read More

Mere aur mere family ke uper merit wife me jhuta dahej ka case diya hai.498a ,323,294,506,341pc/4dp act lagaya hai. Police ke saath aake apna saman li…

Read More

My wife filed a 498 and 507 323 like this against my family and on me. But i have the audio evidence how she and her family member planning to trap us…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue