is attempt to suicide a Crime?

I have attempted to suicide. Is this is a crime. I m student of BHU, due to this they expelling me from hostel , Does they have right to do this on basis of this?

No, now it is not. I suggest you to move to High Court. They may do it ife they have their internal circulars or policy which have to be checked. You can also represent to Chancellor with your grievance.

no..attempt to suicide is not a crime in India anymore..in 2014 the government has notified that section 309 IPC is not longer valid..and if someone is trying to expel you from the hostel then you can lodge a complaint with the Dean..ask the hostel authorities to provide the reason for the issue in question..

as on date, yes it is an offence, there are directives by the Supreme Court to decriminalise it, but it has not yet happened, even a bill is still pending in the parliament to that effect. Has an FIR been lodged against you ? you can always challenge your expulsion