How to respond to legal notice from police

Local police has sent a suchnapatra mentioning to appear before DYSP conducting official inquiry initiated for wrong pachnama fir 299 agianst one my neighbor with all name used for panchnama i.e. asking about the particular person absconding but all names are wrong and even police never made any such inquiry in real, I am one, in police chargesheet those name incorrect so in auchnapatra as well. Now is it necessary for me to appear before DySp for inquiry as name on notice is totaly wrong, I did not accept, they pasted on my wall and i have no knowledge of the matter? What if I do not appear and what if I appear and record my statement that I have no knowledge of the matter, police never askes anything and name mention is wrong and no auch person exist...

Answers (2)

125 votes


The best solution is to appear before DYSP and narrate him all the facts and circumstances clearly. You won't get into any kind of trouble as the FIR is not against you... so there is nothing to worry about

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

155 votes

When the accused person is absconding, police have power to send notice under section 299 for statement of witness(you). Further its necessary that you appear before the DYSP of inquiry and for submitting your statement.

I would advice- Never deny telling truth and co-operate with police in their investigation. If you want you can take help of lawyer near you to accompany with you to police station.

Expert Jurist LLP

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Gouri Shankar Hemekari
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
23 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Sector - 49, Gurgaon
18 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Karkardooma Court, Delhi
18 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles