Complaint by gf against bf for promise to marry

My friend was having relationship with a girl...they were physical once with her consent...he even wanted to marry her...but parents from both side did not he told her that he cant marry her by ignoring now she is threatining him to lodge a fir against him that he used promising to marry...he is going into depression now..plz advice...hw can he get out of this...

Answers (3)

122 votes

He is automatically out of it... I don't see any criminal proviso attracted, she is just threatening your friend, there is not much she can do.... Other than threats.... Still i ll request you to elaborate the event time period and details, as how much time has passed by that incident.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

335 votes

Dear client,

Responding to your question as follow:-

There is provision related to the said matter in IPC under section 375. One can be held guilty of rape if he takes consent by giving false promise of marriage. However this has been now interpreted by the Supreme Court of India, stating that once girl comes into a relationship and they had physical relationship, later relationships doesn’t come to marriage. In such case girl has given consent at her own as she was in love and emotional feelings with her partner, she has not given her consent under any promise or under any influence. Hence it’s need to be determined. Moreover SC said her partner can not be held liable for rape in such case.

For further clarification contact me.

Ajit singh thakur Advocate

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
51 votes

Why to be worried dame bother the law is in your favour let her establish her version because this has happened in past since time immemorial and is happening till now which is merely either On this pretext or on other but always output is zero nothing else dear.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles