Circumstances to file bigamy case in India

My son marriage was a arranged marriage conducted in church of South India in Chennai and after fifteen days the girl ran away from home on enquiry we found that she was already married to a boy through registered marriage in Chennai. Can we file a bigamy case against her under ipc495

Answers (1)

142 votes

Yes you can file a case of bigamy and for which you have to obtain the certified copy of the registered marriage and some proofs of your son's marriage with that girl, further I would strongly suggest to file a case to declare that the marriage performed between your son and that girl is null and void, as the second marriage is invalid in eyes of law if the girl has married your son without obtaining divorce from her earlier husband.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles