Can police put pd act on an accused in cheating case

Hello, my friend is named an accused - a12 in 5 cases by the police. The main accused a1 have cheated his suppliers and owe them money. Police is unable to recover the said money from a1 . My friend a12 is brother in law of a1. My friend is no where involved in a1's business, but still police , in order to recover the money have put my friends name also in the case without any proofs. Police have been pressurising him for the recovery by saying that they will put - "pd act". Want to know if police and impose pd act on my friend a12 .
Can police put pd act on an accused in cheating case crpc -420?

Your friend has been listed as accused probably because of him being a relative of A1.
If your friend is clean, he should apply for a quash of proceedings under section 482 of cr.p.c at high court in all the cases so as to escape being framed in P.D act also.