Legal query regarding protection of Copyright

I have written a maths book for college as per university syllabus. Can I protect my work under copyright?

Answers (4)

227 votes

If you have written that book as an employee of the university, then the Intellectual Property Rights in relation to that book belongs to the university and not you, but if you are not the employee of university and the university has not hired you or made any contract with you to write that book then your book is result of your personal intellectual efforts and as such it will then belong to you for its copyright.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

319 votes

yes you can and you should protect your original work. To protect your work, be informed that work should be original and should not be copied from any other book. if the material is copied from somewhere you need to refer the name of the original writer.

Popular Trademark & Copyright Lawyers

Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
13 years Experience
Advocate JV Bhosale
Fort, Mumbai
13 years Experience
329 votes

Yes you can protect your work by filing a Copyright Application. Generally Copyright does not need any compulsory registration. However, it is better to apply and have a proof that you are the Author which would help proving the same in the court of law.

There are three parties to a copyright:

Author is the owner, if he has not either sold the rights or given a NOC to any person.

Further, If Author is working for an organisation and the Appointment Letter has a condition that the company would be the owner of any work done by the employee/Author while working for the company, in that case, the Author cannot claim ownership.

Hence, if in case an owner of the copyright, is applying, he has to file NOC from the Author as well as Publisher.

However, in your case, you being the Author needs NOC from the Publisher and apply accordingly.

280 votes

Yes, you can. Have you published the book already? There are ways of protecting copyright of a work including registration. Please get in touch for detail of steps to be taken. The strategy will depend upon the status of publication.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Trademark & Copyright Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles