Remedy for breach of token money by the builder

I have given a token amount of 5 lacs rs for a 50 lacs flat to a builder in cash. Builder had not given any payment reciept or any proof of that 5 lacs. In case of breach of contract by a builder what are remidies for me to get back that money. 

Answers (3)

317 votes

You will have to establish payment, with the help of witnesses who were present at the time of the transaction. You will also need to establish the money was with you legally in cash. If you consider you can establish the above and that the payment was against a verbal contract for sale of flat, you can approach the civil court. I would suggest that you personally contact some lawyer, so that you can discuss your options in detail.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

99 votes

Was the token amount mentioned in any written agreement? In absence of any receipt it will be difficult to get back the token amount. Assuming that your contract with the builder is in writing, I advise you to file a civil suit for the specific performance of the contract, if it is beneficial for you. In addition ask in the same suit for the compensation for the breach of contract. In that way even if the specific performance of contract is not decreed by the court, it may award you proper compensation. Also plead in that suit about the token amount, even if you don't have the receipt, you can try to prove it by oral evidence of witnesses.

Popular Consumer Court Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
198 votes

Yes you have all the rights to recover your amount If builder has fails to fulfills the promise of flat with in stipulated time. . . . .

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Consumer Court Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles