Visitor be legally barred from using an apartment elevator

We reside in the third floor of a G+4 building of 16 flats in Kolkata. The Society Governing Body has recently notified that nobody else except the members themselves in person will be allowed to use the single elevator. So, the milkman, newspaper vendor, housemaid, the courier/postman (delivering cheque books, insurance papers etc.)and the service persons (for water purifier and other gazettes) are objecting threatening not to come to my flat.More than 50% apartment owners signed in support of restriction. This law was not mentioned in bylaw during society registration.My questions:1.Can the society legally restrict my use of "common area",i.e., the lift? 2.The notice mentions the words "vendors","labourers", "servants" etc. barring them from lift use. Even for entry in temples owned by trusts such discrimination are not allowed by law, even if these are not public place.What is the legal stand here? 3. Is it deficiency of service as I pay society dues regularly?

Answers (1)

336 votes

You are in third floor, and i can imagine what problem the people living in 16th floor must be facing. The remaining 50% also had to sign a memorandum regarding usage of the lift by outside person with resolution that members shall be given first right to use the life and then outsider.
ans. 1 . No.
ans.2 . That is not discrimination. The restriction is based on ownership.
ans. 3 Society can come under consumer protection.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Civil Lawyers

Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
26 years Experience
Advocate Vijay Tangri
Saket, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Kapil Chandna
Patiala House Court, Delhi
8 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
12 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Civil Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles