Procedure for changing name in birth certificate

Hello, I want to change my name and surname. Could you please tell me where to start, what documentations would I need, how long will it take, and how long thereafter to change my name and surname on Adhaar card, pan card, driver's license, freeze old bank accounts and open new ones under the new name and surname, and what will be the cost of the entire procedure? And are there any issues that might arise when I apply for passport and my previous identity on school and birth certificates are different from the new one? Your response is much appreciated. Thanks

You can change your name by following these three steps (for a major):

1. Make an affidavit for change of name
2. Place an ad in a leading daily with the details of change of name
3. Submit the papers to the official gazette

Affidavit: Include the reason to change your name, along with your full name, father's/husband's name, residential address. The Affidavit will be in standard format and will have to be signed by you and notarised by an oath commissioner.

Newspaper ad should be in a leading local daily newspaper with the following details: Old name, new name, address,
name of witnessing/attesting authority and the place and date on which the affidavit was made.

I, Ram, r/o 121, Ayudhya have changed my name as Raman sworn in front for Notary Hanuman on 03.04.2018.

For publication in the gazette, the following documents will be required:
Affidavit;
Newspaper with original ad;
Proforma with your details and signature of two competent witnesses;
CD containing scanned copy of application;
Two self-attested passport size photographs;
Photocopy of a valid ID proof, self attested;
Request letter along + fee as per the Authority.

Time taken for publication in gazette: 45 to 60 days.

Advocate Kapil Chandna
Patiala House Court, Delhi