Procedure for changing name in birth certificate

Hello, I want to change my name and surname. Could you please tell me where to start, what documentations would I need, how long will it take, and how long thereafter to change my name and surname on Adhaar card, pan card, driver's license, freeze old bank accounts and open new ones under the new name and surname, and what will be the cost of the entire procedure? And are there any issues that might arise when I apply for passport and my previous identity on school and birth certificates are different from the new one? Your response is much appreciated. Thanks

Answers (1)

214 votes

You can change your name by following these three steps (for a major):

1. Make an affidavit for change of name
2. Place an ad in a leading daily with the details of change of name
3. Submit the papers to the official gazette

Affidavit: Include the reason to change your name, along with your full name, father's/husband's name, residential address. The Affidavit will be in standard format and will have to be signed by you and notarised by an oath commissioner.

Newspaper ad should be in a leading local daily newspaper with the following details: Old name, new name, address,
name of witnessing/attesting authority and the place and date on which the affidavit was made.

I, Ram, r/o 121, Ayudhya have changed my name as Raman sworn in front for Notary Hanuman on 03.04.2018.

For publication in the gazette, the following documents will be required:
Newspaper with original ad;
Proforma with your details and signature of two competent witnesses;
CD containing scanned copy of application;
Two self-attested passport size photographs;
Photocopy of a valid ID proof, self attested;
Request letter along + fee as per the Authority.

Time taken for publication in gazette: 45 to 60 days.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Civil Lawyers

Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
26 years Experience
Advocate Vijay Tangri
Saket, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Kapil Chandna
Patiala House Court, Delhi
8 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
12 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Civil Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles