Is court intervention required to change rent depositor's name

My father was depositing rent through the rent control for 15 yrs. He died on 25/12/2012. Because of my mother's hospitalization we kept on depositing the rent in my father's name. Now we want to deposit rent in my mother's name. What is the process? Do we have to go for hearing ?

Tenancy devolves automatically. So you can deposit rent in your mother's name. However, it is to be noted that since your father was the original tenant and as because five years have already been elapsed from his demise, you or your mother can no longer be treated as tenant unless there is any fresh agreement.

tenancy is not transferable by hereditary. 5 years after your fathers death, you all an live but if your landlord wants to remove you. it will be easy for him. it will be difficulty to do this. consult a lawyer.

Advocate Peeyush Kaushik
Dwarka District Court, Delhi

Dear Client,
As per the details provided by you, it is important to get the details of your rent amount and where is it situated because it differs according to its location and amount. If it is in Municipality then the rules would be different,