Is court intervention required to change rent depositor's name

My father was depositing rent through the rent control for 15 yrs. He died on 25/12/2012. Because of my mother's hospitalization we kept on depositing the rent in my father's name. Now we want to deposit rent in my mother's name. What is the process? Do we have to go for hearing ?

Answers (4)

Tenancy devolves automatically. So you can deposit rent in your mother's name. However, it is to be noted that since your father was the original tenant and as because five years have already been elapsed from his demise, you or your mother can no longer be treated as tenant unless there is any fresh agreement.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

tenancy is not transferable by hereditary. 5 years after your fathers death, you all an live but if your landlord wants to remove you. it will be easy for him. it will be difficulty to do this. consult a lawyer.

Popular Civil Lawyers

Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate Swapnil Jamkar
Chhatrapati Square, Nagpur
10 years Experience
Advocate Surangama Sharma
Gomti Nagar, Lucknow
4 years Experience

Dear Client,
As per the details provided by you, it is important to get the details of your rent amount and where is it situated because it differs according to its location and amount. If it is in Municipality then the rules would be different,


If you had been depositing rent in rent controller it means a case is already pending before the rent controller and you need to establish your tenancy if you want to change your name. But the first approach must be with your Landlord. Court intervention may be necessary if it fails. For further proper steps you may contact me.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Civil Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

third party claiming his/her things in the joint locker of husband and wife .how to provce third party is claiming false…

Read More

In case status it shows 'for final order' on today(1.3.19) but today judge is absent then what will happen on this case? When will be the next…

Read More

i am thinking to file in CAT, would proceed, can u give an idea, what are the chances of postive outcome, i am gazetted officer in mcd. 1. No review…

Read More

Reliance mobile tower in front of my land setup 2 month back.. This is residential colony and I plan to construct my house there soon. This tower fell…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue